What is NIE?
NIE, or Newspapers In Education, is a program designed to enhance learning through the use of the newspaper. This readership program encourages students to use the most current textbook around and to think and analyze current events in the world around them.
Specific NIE activity guides help teachers use the newspaper to enhance their lessons and meet their state standards. NIE is available to elementary, middle and high schools and can be integrated into every subject area (ie. math, science, language arts, history, music, etc.)
What Is An E-Edition?
An E-edition is an exact replica of the newspaper. The daily contents of the paper are transmitted electronically and available to you at any computer with an Internet connection.
When you register for the NIE website access, you can choose ONLY ONE newspaper publication for viewing and using the Electronic Edition:.
Why Use NIE in the Classroom?
A 2002 Newspaper Association of America Foundation study found that:
- Students do 10 percent better on standardized tests when they learn with a newspaper.
- Schools with a high minority enrollment who utilize a Newspaper in Education program score 30% higher on standardized tests than similarly populated schools.
- Reading skills increased two grade levels for students who used newspapers, compared to those using traditional methods.
- Reading scores were consistently higher for 12 to 18 year-olds who used newspapers alone or with textbooks. In some cases, scores increased by as much as four grade levels.
- Newspaper use in school increased students' awareness of the world and their communities and had a positive effect on attitudes toward school, community and subject matter.
- Parents who used newspapers as a principal source material had better achievement scores in social studies, language arts and mathematics than their matched counterparts, who relied only on textbooks.
- Newspaper use seems to improve verbal interactions, student motivation and student behavior.
Where is the NIE program available?
The NIE program is available to all area schools.
When is the NIE program Available?
The NIE program is available August through June. Teachers can sign up at the beginning of the year, in the middle of the year, or for a quarter during the school year. The newspaper is available seven days a week to participating teachers.
What Does it Cost?
The NIE online subscription is free to teachers as long we have continued sponsors to fund the program!
If you would still like to receive a hard copy of the paper in your classroom, the cost will be $100 sponsorship fee.
How Do I Sign Up?
It's easy! Just visit www.niemcsse.com, and click on "Not Registered? Subscribe Today!" to receive your free sponsored electronic subscription to the newspaper and gain access to programs, lesson plans, and more!